Friday 23 June 2017

Thursday 22nd June

Elegant Tern

My mate Andy and myself went up to look for an Elegant Tern that was seen yesterday on Brownsea Island near Sandbanks in Dorset . We got to Sandbanks ferry terminal around 11 a/m and had to wait for the ferry , as we were stood there some Terns came in from the seaward side of the terminal most of them were Common Tern and a few Sandwich Tern , then there right in front of me a tern flew by close to shore , my brain took a while to take in what I was looking at but I was lost for words . Andy must have picked it up the same time as me because then we both shouted out in unison Elegant Tern , we then watched the bird fly in front of us heading towards Brownsea Island until it was lost from sight .
We then caught the ferry over to the island expecting it to be in with the other terns but we never saw it again .There was a report from a birder on the island that he had picked it up around the same time but it was flying back towards the sea again . Both Andy and myself had seen the Elegant Tern at Dawlish Warren in Devon back in 2002 but it was still nice to catch up with another one .

No comments:

Post a Comment